Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Lincoln Memorial 1/2 Marathon

My friend, Leslie and I set out for Springfield, Illinois last Friday morning.    We got there, checked into the host hotel and walked around seeing many of the tourist sights.
This is a statue of Abe and the old RR depot in the background.
We walked to see the only house that Lincoln ever owned.   There are many restored homes on that block.
Of course, one must sit with Abe.
Race morning with Abe!!!!    SOOO excited!!
We walked (others ran)thru part of town and toward the state capitol building.
 
South of town thru a neighborhood of big, beautiful homes and then to this fantastic huge park where the  carillon  was playing.

The first half of the course was flat....then the hills started and continued.    After a winding downhill and then up we passed Lincoln's tomb.   The other battle was 25 mph winds.........this was not an easy race.
 
I came in second in my age group - got the bust of Lincoln!!  Presented to me by Abe and Mary!!   I was almost crying it meant so much to me. 
After lunch and showering we walked town a little more.   We toured this building where Lincoln had offices and represented people at the federal court there.

So happy we found Obed and Isaac's Micro-Brewery for dinner.    A great local restaurant - serviec with a smile and good beer.  I could eat there every night - an maybe lunch, too!!!

My flatbread (made with the malt from the beer) and bacon, blue cheese, onion and peppers with olive oil.   YUM!!!
Leslie's horseshoe  - a local meal.    Bread, leg of lamb (or other meats), cheese sauce and fries........she said it was YUM and ate it all!!!!

Sunday morning we arrived at Charlie Parker's just before it opened.   This place has been featured on Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives on the Food Network.   I do believe I've seen the segment.
Everyone is greeted by a loud "Good Morning" and find your own seat.   Great menu choices here.  


This was a great race - not only because I placed and got the bust, but it was with a good friend and training partner.   I do love doing a destination race - seeing the country and doing a race in the same trip.   Some day, I want to go with John and do this - he won't race, but maybe he will cheer me on............

No comments:

Post a Comment